Home Quranet Chapter 3 Is it permissible for parents discriminate against girls?
Is it permissible for parents discriminate against girls?
Chapter 3

فَاسْتَجَابَ لَهُمْ رَبُّهُمْ أَنِّي لاَ أُضِيعُ عَمَلَ عَامِلٍ مِّنكُم مِّن ذَكَرٍ أَوْ أُنثَى بَعْضُكُم مِّن بَعْضٍ فَالَّذِينَ هَاجَرُواْ وَأُخْرِجُواْ مِن دِيَارِهِمْ وَأُوذُواْ فِي سَبِيلِي وَقَاتَلُواْ وَقُتِلُواْ لأُكَفِّرَنَّ عَنْهُمْ سَيِّئَاتِهِمْ وَلأُدْخِلَنَّهُمْ جَنَّاتٍ تَجْرِي مِن تَحْتِهَا الأَنْهَارُ ثَوَابًا مِّن عِندِ اللّهِ وَاللّهُ عِندَهُ حُسْنُ الثَّوَابِ (سورۃ آل عمران, آيۃ 195)

Their Lord responded to them: "I never fail to reward any worker among you for any work you do, be you male or female - you are equal to one another. Thus, those who immigrate, and get evicted from their homes, and are persecuted because of Me, and fight and get killed, I will surely remit their sins and admit them into gardens with flowing streams." Such is the reward from GOD. GOD possesses the ultimate reward. (Surah Ali-Imran, Verse 195)

Samir and Samira are two twins in a rural family. Last year they completed their high-school studies. Samir's average grades were lower than his sister's, not for any physical or intellectual reason, but rather because he is a pampered child and always relies on his sister to do his school work for him. In the matriculation examinations his sister couldn't help him, and thus his grades dropped. This year, because of the family's difficult economic situation, it was decided that only one of the children could continue with university studies.

The mother insisted that the son continue his studies, because the daughter will get married and go to live with another family. The son, on the other hand, will continue living with his parents, and his studies will benefit the whole family. The father disagreed. He felt that the most deserving child should continue his or her studies, irrespective of whether it is the son or the daughter. The mother was very angry with her husband and threatened to leave home if he stuck to his opinion. The father did all he could to persuade the mother. Finally he recalled Verse 195 of the Sura, 'Ali-Imran' that says: "Their Lord responded to them: 'I never fail to reward any worker among you for any work you do, be you male or female - you are equal to one another'". He quoted this verse to his wife and added: "If God rewards each person for his work, who are we to do the opposite?" The mother felt shamed, apologized to her daughter, and wished her success in her studies and in her life.