Home Quranet Chapter 3 Are girls permitted to go on school trips?
Are girls permitted to go on school trips?
Chapter 3

هُوَ الَّذِي يُصَوِّرُكُمْ فِي الأَرْحَامِ كَيْفَ يَشَاء لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ هُوَ الْعَزِيزُ الْحَكِيمُ (سورۃ آل عمران, آيۃ 6)

He is the One who shapes you in the wombs as He wills. There is no other god besides Him; the Almighty, Most Wise. (Sura Ali-Imran, Verse 6)

The ninth-grade students were in a joyous mood. After an exhausting examination period they were all going on a trip to Eilat. Everyone had already paid, except for Amal.
Teacher: Amal, don't you want to go on the trip?
Amal: (Angrily) There's nothing to do in Eilat.
Teacher: I noticed at the beginning that you were very excited about the trip. What happened?
Amal: (Starts crying).
Teacher: I'm here for you. Would you like to tell me what happened?
Amal: (Dries the tears) My father won't let me go. I'm a good girl. He always acts like this and I don't do anything. I'm destroyed. It's all because I'm a girl and he's scared for me.
Teacher: Tell me about your father.
Amal: My father is a good-hearted person. But he is influenced by others and is scared of pressure from the environment. He always says that he can't be different from other fathers and from his family.
Teacher: I want to pay a visit to your home tomorrow afternoon. Please tell your father that I want to talk to him, but don't tell him about what. Tell him you don't know.
Amal: All right.
(The following day, the teacher went to Amal's home. The parents received her very well.)
Teacher: I wanted to talk to you about the fact that Amal is not going on the trip.
Father: I'm not letting her go on the trip because she is a girl, and you know the stories about girls in our society. You live here.
Teacher: Listen, sir, I know that you have educated your daughter very well. And God said: "He is the One who shapes you in the wombs as He wills. There is no other god besides Him; the Almighty, Most Wise." God created all of us in the same way. We are all human beings, boys and girls. You are no greater than God and not more forgiving than God.
Father: (Lowers his head) All right, she can go, and the responsibility is on her. You should know that I'm doing this because I love her and want to protect her, and God is great.

Explanation: There are many cases like this. Parents don't allow their daughter to go on trips because they don't believe she can manage by herself, and think that boys are liable to exploit their innocent daughter. This, of course, is not confined only to school trips, but generally to various assignments that the parents tend to impose on their son and not on their daughter, on the assumption that the girl doesn't have sufficient resources to deal with them. But this is precisely what causes the girl to feel that she is unable to manage with her own resources. How then can she trust herself and manage by herself if she has never been given any opportunity to prove herself? If the parents are interested in raising a strong daughter who trusts herself and can afterwards be of help to her husband and her family, they have to allow her to do things from a young age. She can be given easier tasks in the beginning, and as she proves herself she can take on more complex tasks. A woman like this will, in the future, be a blessing to her family.