Home Quranet Chapter 3 What can we say to a girl who is occupied with romantic matters instead of studying?
What can we say to a girl who is occupied with romantic matters instead of studying?
Chapter 3

قُلْ يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ قَدْ جَاءكُمُ الْحَقُّ مِن رَّبِّكُمْ فَمَنِ اهْتَدَى فَإِنَّمَا يَهْتَدِي لِنَفْسِهِ وَمَن ضَلَّ فَإِنَّمَا يَضِلُّ عَلَيْهَا وَمَا أَنَاْ عَلَيْكُم بِوَكِيلٍ (سورۃ يونس, آية 108)

Say: "O ye men! Now Truth hath reached you from your Lord! those who receive Guidance, do so for the good of their own souls; those who stray, do so to their own loss: and I am not (set) over you to arrange your affairs." (Surah 10, Verse 108)

Nasrin was an outstanding student until the beginning of the ninth grade when everything changed. Her mother told her class teacher in despair that the girl was spending hours in front of the mirror, grooming her hair and face and was totally preoccupied with fashion. She had also begun to spend hours in front of the TV set watching romantic films or fashion programs. If her mother commented that the girl had homework to prepare, she started shouting: "I've done the reading! I've done the work! What do you want of me?" and fled her room.

Her mother began to examine who her friends were and discovered that her best friend did not attend school because she was betrothed and would be marrying next year. Nasrin wanted to be betrothed and to marry like her friend and had stopped studying hard at school. "You are ruining your future and causing damage you will never be able to mend," her mother cautioned her. "Wherever you go they will ask for your high school diploma and without it you won't be able to find work." But Nasrin replied that study didn't interest her.

Her mother took out the Quran, opened it at Surah 10, Verse 108 and read out: "Those who receive Guidance, do so for the good of their own souls; those who stray, do so to their own loss: and I am not (set) over you to arrange your affairs. "I can't force you to study," she said. "You must worry about yourself and you are the one who bears responsibility for your actions."

Explanation: many young people find it hard to concentrate on studies during adolescence because they are flooded with urges and thoughts about contacts with the opposite sex. It is just then, however, that their high school studies are vital for their future advancement. Despite the difficulties, both boys and girls are expected to focus on studies for the sake of their future. How can Nasrin concentrate on studies when she spends her time watching TV and romantic movies? Perhaps her parents should be more authoritative and restrict her TV viewing to a shorter period during the day. Perhaps they should curb her incessant preoccupation with fashion. Imposing such restrictions, coupled with explanations based on the Quran, may help create order in Nasrin's life. With the aid of the Quran, Nasrin's mother has transmitted an important truth to her: if she does not take responsibility for herself, nobody will do it for her.