Home Quranet Chapter 3 What should a girl say to a young man who urges her to have extra-marital sex?
What should a girl say to a young man who urges her to have extra-marital sex?
Chapter 3

وَلاَ تَقْرَبُواْ الزِّنَى إِنَّهُ كَانَ فَاحِشَةً وَسَاء سَبِيلاً (سورۃ الاسراء, آية 32)

Nor come nigh to adultery: for it is a shameful (deed) and an evil, opening the road (to other evils). (Surah 17, Verse 32)

The ninth grade class set out on an annual trip to Eilat. Ali is infatuated with Yasmin and has been trying very hard to persuade her to have sexual relations with him. Yasmin refuses because of her beliefs and the moral code she has been raised on. She tries to evade him in every possible way. She is infatuated with him but does not want to betray her code of values and engage in pre-marital sex. He pleads and she refuses, then he asks for an explanation and each time she ponders what to say. Finally she looks in the Quran. When he pleads again, she says: "You always say you believe in God and respect Him. God says: "Nor come nigh to adultery: for it is a shameful (deed) and an evil, opening the road (to other evils)."

Ali is ashamed and replies: "I am really sorry for what I have done. From now on I will remember that sentence and remind myself and my friends that fornication is wrong."

Explanation: in adolescence young people begin to experience sexual urges and are preoccupied with sexual thoughts. When Yasmin tries to explain to Ali that what he is asking for is an abomination and a grave transgression, he is not persuaded and continues to pester her. Boys sometimes promise girls to marry them if they will agree to sexual relations. The girls are won over but the boys often regret their promises. Girls are also sometimes offered various enticements in order to yield. But the Quran, with its great authority, pacifies Ali and frees Yasmin of the incessant pressure. Yasmin was right to resort to the Quran for help and it was there that she found the solution to her predicament.