Home Quranet Chapter 3 What can we say to a boy who annoys and pesters a girl?
What can we say to a boy who annoys and pesters a girl?
Chapter 3

قُل لِّلْمُؤْمِنِينَ يَغُضُّوا مِنْ أَبْصَارِهِمْ وَيَحْفَظُوا فُرُوجَهُمْ ذَلِكَ أَزْكَى لَهُمْ إِنَّ اللَّهَ خَبِيرٌ بِمَا يَصْنَعُونَ (سورۃ النور, آيۃ 30)

Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity for them: and Allah is well acquainted with all that they do. (Surah 24, Verse 30)

Fatma is an eleventh grader, an outstanding student. One day she comes to see her class teacher with tears in her eyes. "Tell me why you are crying," says the teacher and offers her a seat. Fatma says that she wants to move to another class. "But why?" the teacher asks. "You are an outstanding student and all the teachers and pupils like you." Fatma says that one of the boys in the class keeps pestering her. The teacher asks for an explanation and Fatma tells her that he torments her in various ways. "The way he looks at me and behaves and the gestures he makes. I can't concentrate in class. All the pupils see it, and I can't bear it any more. So I want to change classes."

The teacher asks Fatma if the boy pesters her outside school as well, and Fatma says that during break, in the courtyard, he follows her and harasses her. "You see," says the teacher, "moving won't help. And apart from that, it would be better if he moved rather than you. Why should you suffer? He is the one who deserves to be punished. Don't worry, I'll talk to him."

The next day she summons the boy and tells him that Fatma has complained about him. At first he pretends not to understand what she is talking about but when the teacher takes out the Quran and asks him to read out Verse 30: "Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity for them: and Allah is well acquainted with all that they do", he admits that he has been annoying Fatma. "Allah does not love boys who torment girls," she explains. "Please don't do it any more." The boy looks at her and says: "No problem, I won't do it again."

Explanation: many girls suffer in various places, including school, from being pestered by boys. These problems are more common in adolescence. Teachers must ensure that girls can study quietly and safely and enjoy full protection. They have the right to benefit from all the activities the school offers, for example to go on trips without fear. A society in which girls are not secure is an immoral society in which nobody is safe. The teacher was right to deal with the problem immediately and to comment that it was not Fatma who should be punished and moved but the boy who was bothering her. And in fact, the boy admitted his wrongdoing immediately after hearing the Quran verse. This teacher undoubtedly made appropriate and impressive use of the Quran in this case.