Home Quranet Chapter 4 What can we say to someone who is impressed by evildoing?
What can we say to someone who is impressed by evildoing?
Chapter 4

قُل لاَّ يَسْتَوِي الْخَبِيثُ وَالطَّيِّبُ وَلَوْ أَعْجَبَكَ كَثْرَةُ الْخَبِيثِ فَاتَّقُواْ اللّهَ يَا أُوْلِي الأَلْبَابِ لَعَلَّكُمْ تُفْلِحُونَ (سورۃ المائدة, آية 100)

Say: "Not equal are things that are bad and things that are good, even though the abundance of the bad may dazzle thee; so fear Allah, O ye that understand; that (so) ye may prosper. (Surah 5, Verse 100)

Sixteen-year-old Yusef goes out every evening with his friends. They roam the streets, smoke and do other unacceptable things. For some time he has abandoned his best friend and no longer sees him. His parents asked him why he no longer sees his friend and has joined a new gang. Yusef replied that most of his classmates go out in groups, roam the streets, smoke, laugh and return home late. He added that his best friend refused to behave like that and stayed home, prepared his homework and sometimes went to see a movie. "The truth is that I go out with my new friends although I'm not attracted by what they do. But if I stay at home with my friend, they laugh at me," he told his parents.

Yusef's parents talked to the educational counselor who explained that their son was now an adolescent and at that time in their lives boys and girls are very much influenced by their friends. He equipped them with a Quran verse and asked them to explain to their son that even if most of the class behaved like that, this did not mean that it was the right path.

Explanation: the counselor was right to say that in adolescence there is great peer pressure on the individual, and boys and girls may be influenced to their detriment. The Quran verse which reminds us that often evil may dazzle us is highly appropriate for this situation. The boys smoke and possibly make inappropriate remarks to girls or do other forbidden things, feeling that the bad endows them with power. But the Quran adjures them not to be impressed by the power of the bad.

Deep within himself, Yusef knew the truth, and if he conducts himself in future according to the Quran, he will be acting wisely and will flourish.