Home Quranet Chapter 4 What should a boy do when he has been incriminated?
What should a boy do when he has been incriminated?
Chapter 4

إِنَّ اللّهَ يَأْمُرُكُمْ أَن تُؤدُّواْ الأَمَانَاتِ إِلَى أَهْلِهَا وَإِذَا حَكَمْتُم بَيْنَ النَّاسِ أَن تَحْكُمُواْ بِالْعَدْلِ إِنَّ اللّهَ نِعِمَّا يَعِظُكُم بِهِ إِنَّ اللّهَ كَانَ سَمِيعًا بَصِيرًا (سورۃ النساء, آيۃ 58)

Allah doth command you to render back your Trusts to those to whom they are due; And when ye judge between man and man, that ye judge with justice: Verily how excellent is the teaching which He giveth you! For Allah is He Who heareth and seeth all things. (Surah 4, Verse 58)

For the past two weeks Ali, a sixth-grader, has been behaving strangely at home and at school. He has almost stopped talking and every morning he complains of stomach pains and says he doesn't want to go to school. When he is forced to go, he cries. He also complains that he can't get out of bed or stand up. When his mother allows him to stay at home, he gets up an hour later and moves around as if nothing is wrong with him. When she tries to go out, he clings to her, asks her not to leave him alone, and never goes out to play with his friends. When he does attend school, he complains of stomach pains after the third lesson and then his mother is summoned to take him home. He looks frightened, says his teacher. Last night, his mother told the teacher, he woke up crying and trembling, soaked in sweat. He clung to his mother and wanted her to sleep beside him.

The teacher decided to talk to Ali to discover what had caused the drastic change in his behavior. She assured him she had his interests at heart and that he had no reason to be afraid because everyone wanted to help him. Then Ali told her that his friends were stealing from other pupils and hiding their loot in his school bag. When they left school at the end of the day, they recovered the objects from his bag. They had threatened him that if he reported them, they would take revenge on him.

The teacher looked at Ali, who sat there terrified and said: "First, you are a brave boy for having told me the truth. Good for you! Now I want to read you an important verse from the Quran." The opened Surah 4, Verse 58:

"Allah doth command you to render back your Trusts to those to whom they are due; And when ye judge between man and man, that ye judge with justice". "If a trust must be returned, what do you think, Ali, about theft?" she asked. "Next time I won't be afraid," Ali said. "I won't let them put anything into my bag and if they do, I will give it back to the owner, just as the Quran says." "Good, Ali," the teacher replied. "The Quran often says that those who tell the truth are protected by Allah and have no need to fear."

Then the teacher sent for Ali's friends......

Explanation: many children live in fear of strong and violent classmates. It is very important for teachers to protect them because schools do not exist so that the violent can exploit the weak. Children go to school to study and when one is afraid, one cannot learn. It is also very important that teachers should not yield to fear because if they give in to violence in any way and grant excessive privileges to the more violent students, they will never be able to teach the class that violence does not pay. The children will learn that the rules of the jungle prevail and the stronger will always win. So whenever a teacher senses that there is some threat in the class, he or she must act immediately to neutralize it. In extreme cases, when the teacher feels that he cannot control the situation himself, he may contact the police or some other outside authority able to settle the situation. One thing is forbidden: to ignore violence and pretend we have seen nothing.