Home Quranet Chapter 6 What can we say to a boy who does not take study seriously and fails his exams?
What can we say to a boy who does not take study seriously and fails his exams?
Chapter 6

إِنَّ اللّهَ لاَ يَظْلِمُ النَّاسَ شَيْئاً وَلَـكِنَّ النَّاسَ أَنفُسَهُمْ يَظْلِمُونَ (سورۃ يونس, آيۃ 44)

Verily Allah will not deal unjustly with man in aught: It is man that wrongs his own soul. (Surah 10, Verse 44)

Nadi, who is in the eighth grade, claimed that the study material was easy and did not require effort. When his mother urged him to study for an exam he told her he could make good grades without working. Towards the end of the year, Nadi made a wager with his friend Muhammed that he could achieve a grade of more than 90 without studying at all. Muhammed warned him that he was taking a risk, but Nadi replied: " Forget it, who needs to study!"

Nadi took the exam without having prepared. When the teacher returned the exam papers, Nadi was shocked. "Something's wrong, I think there must be a mistake", he said. He went up to the teacher and said angrily: What happened? I don't deserve to fail". The teacher replied that he had received the grade he deserved. "You've done almost no work this year", he added.

Nadi was depressed. Am I really so worthless, he asked himself. He went to the counselor and told her that God did not love him. She realized that she needed to work with him and to persuade him to accept responsibility for his actions instead of blaming God. She opened the Quran at Surah 10, Verse 44 and read out to him: "Verily Allah will not deal unjustly with man in aught: It is man that wrongs his own soul". "What do you think of that verse?" she asked him. Nadi pondered and replied: "Yes, I'm to blame and not God. Perhaps God loves me and wants me to invest more in my studies".

Explanation: It is interesting to see the rapid change in Nadi from contempt for study and feelings of superiority to a sense that he is worthless. Such transitions frequently occur in children who inflate their importance and then the bubble bursts; they fly high and then they crash. Nadi, who failed, is initially angry at the teacher, then at God. The main thing is not to take responsibility himself. And here the Quran restores his sense of responsibility which is the sole way of persuading him to improve. It tells us again and again not to cast responsibility on others because nothing good will come of it. It is not easy to take responsibility and it may even be difficult and painful but there is no other way. Only those who accept responsibility will try to improve matters; others do not try and do not make progress.