Home Quranet Chapter 6 What can we say to someone self-important?
What can we say to someone self-important?
Chapter 6

كُلُّ ذَلِكَ كَانَ سَيٍّئُهُ عِنْدَ رَبِّكَ مَكْرُوهاً (سورۃ الاسراء, آية 37-38)

Nor walk on the earth with insolence: for thou canst not rend the earth asunder, nor reach the mountains in height. Of all such things the evil is hateful in the sight of thy Lord. (Surah 17, Verses 37-38).

Yasmin, who is in the seventh grade, failed several times to do her mathematics homework. The teacher sent a message to her parents and briefed them and also explained that her failure could affect her achievements in that subject.

The next day, during recess, her father drove to the school, parked his car opposite the school gate, descended and stalked in. He passed the school guard without looking at him and without greeting him. The guard heard a loud voice ask: "Where is the principal's room?" The guard directed him and he mumbled thanks without glancing in the guard's direction.

Then he strode in, straight to the principal's room and flung the door open without knocking. "Why did you send me a letter about my daughter? She is an outstanding pupil and lacks for nothing. How does that teacher dare to judge her? I can transfer my daughter to a prestigious school, I've no shortage of money and I can do it. This is my daughter you are dealing with!" Then he boasted the principal about his business affairs and how successful he was.

The principal explained to him that the teacher's intentions had been good, namely to enable him to share in his daughter's schooling and to help. There was no intention to suggest that his daughter lacked anything or was not worthy. "But even if we are the most powerful people in the world", the principal continued, "there are things to which we are committed and they include a pleasant attitude towards others and good education". He opened the Quran and read out to the father: "Nor walk on the earth with insolence: for thou canst not rend the earth asunder, nor reach the mountains in height. Of all such things the evil is hateful in the sight of thy Lord". "You must treat the teacher well and other people too", he explained politely, "because they are doing their job well and have the pupils' interests at heart".

Explanation: there are some people who consider it demeaning to be like everyone else. Yasmin's father demands a special status for himself and for his daughter. He refuses to permit his daughter to be treated like any other pupil who doesn't prepare homework. His arrogant attitude towards others is laible to offend them. He also attributes nefarious intentions to the teacher although her intentions are good. The principal was right not to take him seriously and not to be offended. The Quran commands us not to be insolent, to act with humility, however strong we are. Thus it promotes equality, this time in the emotional sphere.