Home Quranet Chapter 8 Is participation in a process more important than the final grade?
Is participation in a process more important than the final grade?
Chapter 8

وَمَا أَهْلَكْنَا مِن قَرْيَةٍ إِلَّا لَهَا مُنذِرُونَ (سورۃ الشعراء, آية 208)

Never did We destroy a population, but had its warners (Surah 26, Verse 208)

Salem, a tenth-grader, came into the counselor's office angry and full of complaints against the teachers. The counselor calmed him and asked him to tell her what had happened. "They don't warn the pupils. They wait till we make a mistake and fail and then they warn us", he said. The counselor asked what had happened to him personally. He told her that one of his classes on "Life Skills" was taught as a workshop. He had not taken an active part and preferred to listen to others. "At the end of the year, the teacher told me that I would not get a good grade because I had scarcely taken part. I asked her why she hadn't warned me during the year and she said that now she couldn't help me". The counselor promised to talk to the teacher.

She told the teacher what Salem had said. Then she opened the Quran and read her the verse: "Never did We destroy a population, but had its warners". "You should have cautioned Salem so that he could improve", she said. The teacher thanked her for having taught her something important.

Explanation: the counselor's comment is very important for every parent and teacher. There is good reason why schools hold parent-teacher meetings several times a year to report to parents on their child's progress. This feedback is vital so that a child can understand his situation and improve and not receive unpleasant surprises at the end of the year. A parent or teacher who does not provide feedback from time to time is not fulfilling his or her mission properly. The process of growth which we want to encourage is not based on a single result at the year's end in the form of a grade but is a continuous process of growth in which a constant dialog exists between the chld and the authority figure. As parents and teachers, we must be present in the child's world not only as judges and critics but mainly as providers of support and encouragement every day and every hour. The counselor did well to convey this important message through the Quran verse.