Home Quranet Chapter 9 If God is Merciful and Compassionate, why not human beings?
If God is Merciful and Compassionate, why not human beings?
Chapter 9

فَمَن تَابَ مِن بَعْدِ ظُلْمِهِ وَأَصْلَحَ فَإِنَّ اللّهَ يَتُوبُ عَلَيْهِ إِنَّ اللّهَ غَفُورٌ رَّحِيمٌ (سورۃ المائدة, آيۃ 39)

But if the thief repents after his crime, and amends his conduct, Allah turneth to him in forgiveness; for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful. (Surah 5, Verse 39)

Rania's friendship with Asmahan, is growing steadily stronger and this is what Rania had been hoping for. Her friend Anwar was right - in order to gain what you want, you need to plan ahead and tell lies. "How clever we are. We managed to trick Asmahan and bring her close", Rania and Anwar laughed.

It all began at the end of year trip last year when the school needed a medic to accompany the pupils. Rania proposed her cousin Haled who had graduated from a paramedic's course. Haled was glad of the opportunity to earn some money and joined. During the trip, Rania introduced her handsome cousin to her girl friends and they all began to dream about him. Asmahan could not take her eyes off him throughout the trip.

Rania knew that this was her opportunity to make friends with Asmahan. She started asking her indirectly what she thought about Haled. Asmahan said that he was very good looking and asked how old he was and what his profession was. Rania told her that he was twenty three and studying education at college.

One day Rania went over to Asmahan and told her that Haled had sent her his regards and Asmahan was very excited that he had remembered her. Rania added that Haled thought Asmahan was the prettiest girl he had ever seen. Asmahan asked how they had come to be discussing her and Rania invented a reason. From that day on, they had a common subject of conversation and talked about Haled all day.

This year Haled again accompanied the trip. Asmahan waited for him beside the bus but when he arrived he ignored her. She was very hurt but told herself that perhaps he had not noticed her. She went over to him and greeted him and he replied casually.

Asmahan (offended): I'm Asmahan!
Haled: Who? Do I know you?
Asmahan: Yes, I'm Rania's friend!
Haled: What is it you want? Sorry I must go.

Asmaham was very angry with Rania, shouted at her that she was a liar and said she wanted nothing more to do with her. Rania realized what a mistake she had made by toying with Asmahan's feelings in order to make friends with her. She felt very guilty and confused. How could she repair the damage? She went over to Asmahan who refused to talk to her; she apologized and promised never to do such a thing again. "I just wanted to be your friend", she said and added: "But if the thief repents after his crime, and amends his conduct, Allah turneth to him in forgiveness; for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful".

This time Asmahan listened.

Explanation: it was not wrong for Rania to want Asmahan's friendship, but the method she chose was wrong. She deceived Asmahan, who may have thought that Rania would help her establish a relationship with Haled. Asmahan was bitterly disappointed. Is that the way to acquire true friends? Of course not and such lies will eventually blow up in the face of the liar because sooner or later, the truth will emerge. How long did Rania think that she could continue to deceive her friend? She was trying to establish a friendship on a false basis which was unlikely to endure. It is to her credit that when the truth was revealed she asked forgiveness and cited the Quran verse.