Home Quranet Chapter 10 What can we say to someone who is trying to kick a drug habit?
What can we say to someone who is trying to kick a drug habit?
Chapter 10

إِلاَّ الَّذِينَ صَبَرُواْ وَعَمِلُواْ الصَّالِحَاتِ أُوْلَـئِكَ لَهُم مَّغْفِرَةٌ وَأَجْرٌ كَبِيرٌ (سورۃ هود, آية 11)

But if We give him a taste of (Our) favours after adversity hath touched him, he is sure to say, "All evil has departed from me:" Behold! he falls into exultation and pride.Not so do those who show patience and constancy, and work righteousness; for them is forgiveness (of sins) and a great reward. (Surah 11, Verse 11)

Fuad's father was a drug addict for many years until one day he decided to break the habit. He took control of his life, spent a year in a rehabilitation center and returned clean of drugs. He admitted to his son that it was the hardest year of his life, because the drug had been in his body for many years and he had become totally physically and psychologically dependent on it. He explained to his adolescent children that they were at the dangerous age and that the decisions they took now could have a positive or negative impact on their lives. He had begun to use drugs in his teens.

Today Fuad's father accompanies every step of his children's lives. They tell him about their difficulties and about group pressure to smoke, for example, and he encourages them to be strong and not to give in to pressures. He is grateful to God for being at his side and helping him to turn over a new leaf and be a new man. "I was harming my family and society", he says, "and now I work and I'm a useful member of society. I was re-born thanks to God and I am clean". He also told his son that, during the rehabilitation process, he was warned against the moment when he would decide that he was clean and was tempted to start again. Then he was liable to return to square one. At the rehabilitation center, the former addicts used to recite the verse: "But if We give him a taste of (Our) favours after adversity hath touched him, he is sure to say, "All evil has departed from me:" Behold! he falls into exultation and pride.Not so do those who show patience and constancy, and work righteousness; for them is forgiveness (of sins) and a great reward".

Explanation: it is only natural for an individual to believe that his war is over and he can rest on his laurels and do whatever he chooses. But anyone who was once a drug addict knows that his battle is never over and every day he must remind himself of that fact. To lose means to lose his future and perhaps his life as well. Fuad's father teaches his son that what starts with a cigarette can end much more drastically. One must struggle against temptation and be brave enough to withstand group pressure. There is no reason in the world to ruin our health and our bodies which God has given us by smoking. Many children should talk to Fuad's father to understand why it is forbidden to yield to pressure, and to realize that the danger always exists. God cautions us against complacency based on the belief that it could never happen to us.