Home Quranet Chapter 10 What will Satan say on the Day of Judgment to a boy who joined a gang of delinquents?
What will Satan say on the Day of Judgment to a boy who joined a gang of delinquents?
Chapter 10

وَقَالَ الشَّيْطَانُ لَمَّا قُضِيَ الأَمْرُ إِنَّ اللّهَ وَعَدَكُمْ وَعْدَ الْحَقِّ وَوَعَدتُّكُمْ فَأَخْلَفْتُكُمْ وَمَا كَانَ لِيَ عَلَيْكُم مِّن سُلْطَانٍ إِلاَّ أَن دَعَوْتُكُمْ فَاسْتَجَبْتُمْ لِي فَلاَ تَلُومُونِي وَلُومُواْ أَنفُسَكُم مَّا أَنَاْ بِمُصْرِخِكُمْ وَمَا أَنتُمْ بِمُصْرِخِيَّ إِنِّي كَفَرْتُ بِمَا أَشْرَكْتُمُونِ مِن قَبْلُ إِنَّ الظَّالِمِينَ لَهُمْ عَذَابٌ أَلِيمٌ (سورۃ ابراهيم, آية 22)

And Satan will say when the matter is decided: "It was Allah Who gave you a promise of Truth: I too promised, but I failed in my promise to you. I had no authority over you except to call you but ye listened to me: then reproach not me, but reproach your own souls. I cannot listen to your cries, nor can ye listen to mine. I reject your former act in associating me with Allah. For wrong-doers there must be a grievous penalty." (Surah 14, Verse 22)

Samar and Inas, who live close to one another and are in the same class, are bosom friends. Recently Samar has noticed that his friend has changed. He has begun to tell lies, disappears for hours at a time, each time with a different excuse. One day he followed Inas to see where he was going and saw him, to his amazement, sitting in the backyard of the school, , smoking and taking some pills with a group of other boys. Samar was shocked, tried to dissuade his friend from using the pills and told him that his behavior was unacceptable. Inas was unimpressed and said he did it for fun. "It's normal and most of the older pupils take those pills. It helps them to concentrate on their studies", he said. He even succeeded in persuading his friend to join him, saying: "If you don't smoke, they'll say you're a coward".

Samar began joining Inas during recess. His brother heard about it and threatened to tell their parents. Samar was frightened and asked Inas to leave him alone and stop persuading him to smoke. But Inas said that what Samar did or didn't do was his own problem. "You must help me because you're the one who got me into this trap", said Samar. They began to quarrel and their teachers and classmates were shocked, because the boys were known to be best friends.

Then Samar's brother called him over and asked him to listen carefully to a certain Quran verse. He read out to him: "And Satan will say when the matter is decided: "It was Allah Who gave you a promise of Truth: I too promised, but I failed in my promise to you. I had no authority over you except to call you but ye listened to me: then reproach not me, but reproach your own souls. I cannot listen to your cries, nor can ye listen to mine. I reject your former act in associating me with Allah. For wrong-doers there must be a grievous penalty."

When Samar heard the verse, he began to cry and said: "That's exactly what Inas said. I can't blame him; I can only blame myself. I'm going to take control of my life and keep away from Inas and his gang".

Explanation: at most ages, but certainly during adolescence, the group exerts strong influence on the individual and can entice him into delinquent behavior. The most striking examples are smoking and drug-taking. The individual knows that if he does not respond to pressure, he will be ejected from the gang. Samar is torn between two worlds and has to decide whether to renounce his bosom friend and reject smoking and drugs or remain with Inas and behave like him. To take the courageous decision requires fortitude. Here Samar's brother came to his aid by reading him the verse which echoed what Inas said to him: "ye listened to me: then reproach not me, but reproach your own souls".

Samar felt that the Quran understood his dilemma and decided to take control of his life and to reform.