Home Quranet Chapter 12 What can we say to a boy who has been crippled?
What can we say to a boy who has been crippled?
Chapter 12

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ اسْتَعِينُواْ بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلاَةِ إِنَّ اللّهَ مَعَ الصَّابِرِينَ (سورۃ البقرة, آيۃ 153)

O ye who believe! seek help with patient perseverance and prayer; for Allah is with those who patiently persevere. (Surah 2, Verse 153)

Najib, a twelfth-grader, is a hardworking student with high grades. He is an outgoing boy who loves sports and likes to play football in the neighborhood and play rough games. One day, on his way home from school with his friends, he was knocked down by a car being driven at high speed and was seriously injured.

His life was saved in the hospital but he was left in a wheelchair and his doctors told him that he would never again be able to walk. The physical injury affected his emotional state and he sank into a deep depression, as did his entire family. His friends came to visit him in the hospital every day, told him about their examinations and their football games and he was filled with bitterness and pain. He had no future and there was no hope for him, he told the nurse who was tending him. "All my dreams have shattered like glass on a rock and I can't collect the pieces", he said. The nurse took out the Quran from which she often read verses to suffering patients, finding a suitable verse for each. "O ye who believe! seek help with patient perseverance and prayer; for Allah is with those who patiently persevere", she read. Najib felt his strength returning. "God is with those who patiently persevere", he said. "God wants me to be strong and not break down", he added. The nurse looked at him and nodded silently.

Explanation: it is very hard when an adolescent boy experiences a catastrophe, because it is at a time when he is attuned to the future and full of plans. And then, all at once, his future is shattered. What can we say to Najib at this terrible moment. He will learn slowly to adapt his new expectations to his disabilities. He will learn what he is capable of doing and how to develop new expectations and hopes suited to his condition. But the present time is very hard for him, and nothing equals the Quran in providing encouragement. God has said to Najib: be strong and courageous, do not give in and I will be with you. These are the words which can shake Najib out of his passivity and depression and instill new hope in him.