Home Quranet Chapter 13 Is it permissible to compel someone to be religiously observant?
Is it permissible to compel someone to be religiously observant?
Chapter 13

فَلِذَلِكَ فَادْعُ وَاسْتَقِمْ كَمَا أُمِرْتَ وَلَا تَتَّبِعْ أَهْوَاءهُمْ وَقُلْ آمَنتُ بِمَا أَنزَلَ اللَّهُ مِن كِتَابٍ وَأُمِرْتُ لِأَعْدِلَ بَيْنَكُمُ اللَّهُ رَبُّنَا وَرَبُّكُمْ لَنَا أَعْمَالُنَا وَلَكُمْ أَعْمَالُكُمْ لَا حُجَّةَ بَيْنَنَا وَبَيْنَكُمُ اللَّهُ يَجْمَعُ بَيْنَنَا وَإِلَيْهِ الْمَصِيرُ (سورۃ الشورى, آية 15)

Now then, for that (reason), call (them to the Faith), and stand steadfast as thou art commanded, nor follow thou their vain desires; but say: "I believe in the Book which Allah has sent down; and I am commanded to judge justly between you. Allah is our Lord and your Lord: for us (is the responsibility for) our deeds, and for you for your deeds. There is no contention between us and you. Allah will bring us together, and to Him is (our) Final Goal. (Surah 42, Verse 15)

Nabil has recently become extremely religious. He pores over the Quran and other religious works and asks the sheikh of the mosque many questions. Whenever he sees one of his friends doing something which he believes to be violating religious tenets as he understands them, he becomes angry and begins to argue with him. His friends are keeping their distance because he keeps criticizing them and quoting Quran verses. He has changed greatly recently and has made several new friends who are also extremely orthodox, and they discuss religious issues together. Nabil's family also find him hard to live with as he criticizes them constantly, and checks whether his sisters are dressing modestly. He does not like to see them leaving the house and has even begun criticizing his mother. His father recently called him for a talk and read him a Quran verse: "Allah is our Lord and your Lord: for us (is the responsibility for) our deeds, and for you for your deeds. There is no contention between us and you. ", He asked Nabil if he understood the verse. It was the first time in months that Nabil had fallen silent and listened. "I was wrong", he said. "According to the Quran I must not put pressure on people and quarrel with them. Each of us is judged according to his own deeds. I may be pained by your behavior but I can't help you". His father hugged him and said that he liked that answer.

Explanation: it is permissible for Nabil to choose how to express his religiosity but, according to the Quran, he must not force his views on others. The Quran recommends avoiding pointless. Each individual is responsible for his own actions and in the end Allah will judge all of them. Nabil's father did well in choosing this verse for his son. In this world, where disputes regarding religion are rife, this verse is of vital importance. It reminds us that we should not force our views on others whether we advocate extreme orthodoxy or extreme secularism. It reminds us that God enjoins us to take responsibility for ourselves, and not to attempt to take responsibility for others by forcing our views on them.