Home Quranet Chapter 13 Is everyone able to read and understand the Quran?
Is everyone able to read and understand the Quran?
Chapter 13

فَإِنَّمَا يَسَّرْنَاهُ بِلِسَانِكَ لِتُبَشِّرَ بِهِ الْمُتَّقِينَ وَتُنذِرَ بِهِ قَوْماً لُّدّاً (سورة مريم, آية 97)

So have We made the (Qur'an) easy in thine own tongue, that with it thou mayest give Glad Tidings to the righteous, and warnings to people given to contention. (Surah 19, Verse 97)

Fifteen-year-old Samahar is always arguing with her mother about clothes. "I want to buy new clothes, something more revealing, more modern, like my friends do. I don't want to be different", she says. "I want to present myself in the best possible light. Why do all the mothers permit their daughters to buy clothes like that and only you make difficulties?" Her mother is constantly seeking verses from the Quran about the importance of modesty and showing them to Samahar. "Allah loves girls who dress modestly and not those who wear revealing clothes", she explains. "We have certain customs". But Samahar continues to argue and the verses do not persuade her to change her ways.

One day Samahar visited the counselor and told her about the arguments at home. The counselor opened the Quran and read her the verse: "So have We made the (Qur'an) easy in thine own tongue, that with it thou mayest give Glad Tidings to the righteous, and warnings to people given to contention". "Do you understand what this verse is saying?" she asked. Samahar replied that the Quran was written in Arabic so that everyone would understand. "True", said the counselor. "You too can read any verse in the Quran and decide to let it guide your behavior. It is simple". From that day on the arguments at home ceased.

Explanation: this important verse says that every individual can read the Quran and understand it. It is indeed a guide for life which can be understood with relative ease. Parents and teachers should encourage children to read the Quran regularly, to raise questions about what they read and to find the answers to many of their queries. In the end, the Quran gave Samahar the strength to resist her friends and to dress as she saw fit.