Home Quranet Chapter 13 What are the basic elements of healthy nutrition?
What are the basic elements of healthy nutrition?
Chapter 13

كُلُوا مِن طَيِّبَاتِ مَا رَزَقْنَاكُمْ وَلَا تَطْغَوْا فِيهِ فَيَحِلَّ عَلَيْكُمْ غَضَبِي وَمَن يَحْلِلْ عَلَيْهِ غَضَبِي فَقَدْ هَوَى (سورة طه, آية 81)

(Saying): "Eat of the good things We have provided for your sustenance, but commit no excess therein, lest My Wrath should justly descend on you: and those on whom descends My Wrath do perish indeed! (Surah 20, Verse 81)

The school educational counselor gives health lessons. She goes from classroom to classroom and explains to the pupils how important it is to eat healthy food: large quantities of fruit, vegetables and milk. She explains the damage to the body of an excess of sugar and food coloring as well as how to check their ideal weight according to their body types. She stresses the importance of physical activity and the dangers of nicotine, drugs and alcohol. She starts and concludes each lesson with the Quran verse: ""Eat of the good things We have provided for your sustenance, but commit no excess therein, lest My Wrath should justly descend on you: and those on whom descends My Wrath do perish indeed!"

Explanation: it is indisputable that our modern lifestyle demands considerable discipline with regard to eating habits. Sweetmeats and even dishes which appear healthy are often filled with harmful additives such as food coloring, synthetic materials etc. Young people are also exposed to cigarettes, drugs and alcohol which can be very harmful, and the verse is referring to this as well. The counselor was right to teach the children from an early age the important rules of nutritio, with the aid of the Quran.