Home Quranet Chapter 13 Why should we make peace?
Why should we make peace?
Chapter 13

إِنَّ هَذِهِ أُمَّتُكُمْ أُمَّةً وَاحِدَةً وَأَنَا رَبُّكُمْ فَاعْبُدُونِ (سورة الانبياء, آية 92)

Verily, this brotherhood of yours is a single brotherhood, and I am your Lord and Cherisher: therefore serve Me (and no other). (Surah 21, Verse 92)

In the seventh grade class, many of the squabbles between pupils develop into violent clashes. There are rivalries between boys and girls, between town-dwellers and villagers and between Bedouin and fellahin. The class teacher initiated a project in order to calm down the class and encourage the pupils to be good friends, cooperate and help one another. She copied onto the blackboard the Quran verse: "Verily, this brotherhood of yours is a single brotherhood, and I am your Lord and Cherisher: therefore serve Me (and no other)". Then she asked the pupils what they thought it meant. They talked about the need to respect one another, the importance of unity and of mutual forgiveness. She organized activities aimed at encouraging better contact between the pupils (games, contests etc). In conclusion, she reminded them again that they were all brothers and sisters believing in one God and read out the verse again.

Explanation: the power and authority of God unites all His believers into one nation. This important verse can bring peace to a classroom, peace between quarreling families and hamoulas and between nations who believe in the same God. Similarly, the authority of the paterfamilias brings siblings closer together and encourages them to take responsibility and to care for one another. The teacher found the appropriate verse which exhorts us to live in peace because we are all brothers.